Börek is originally a Turkish invention dating back to Ottoman empire. However, like many other Turkish dishes such as Doner kebab, Pide and Iskender kebab, Börek is popular among Iranians too. The reason might be that flavors in Turkish cuisine bear a resemblance to Persian cuisine.
Börek refers to any dish made with Yufka(filo) dough. Filo is a kind of very thin unleavened dough used for making pastries such as Baklava and Börek. The secret to making these stuffed pastries is to brush a mixture of beaten egg and oil over the top before baking. The top of the rolls are often sprinkled with sesame seeds.
- Beef Recipes
- 20 Borek rolls
- 250 Grams ground beef
- 1 medium onion
- 1 small bell pepper
- 100 Grams mushroom
- 1 Teaspoon turmeric
- 1 Teaspoon salt
- ½ Teaspoons black pepper
- ½ Teaspoons oregano
- ½ Teaspoons cinnamon
- 10 filo or spring roll pastry sheets (approx 21cm x 21cm)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 100 Grams cheddar cheese, grated
- sesame seed for topping
- In a large frying pan, heat 2 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Chop the onion, add to the pan and saute until soft.
- Dice the pepper and add to onion. Saute until tender.
- Add ground beef and stir until well mixed and brown.
- Slice the mushrooms and add to the mixture. Saute for about five minutes until soft.
- Add turmeric, salt, oregano, black pepper and cinnamon and stir until well mixed.
It is optional to add Persian Advieh.
- Add the cheese and stir for 1 minute until melted. Remove from heat and set aside.
preheat oven to 170 ° C.
- Cut each filo sheet in half to make two equal triangles. Take a good tablespoon of meat mix and place it about 1 inches up from one of the corners of the triangle.
- Lift and fold the corner on the right and then left to make an envelope shape. Brush beaten egg mixed with oil over the edges to keep them in place.
- Then roll it up from the bottom of the envelope shape to the top.
- Do the same steps with all the pastry sheets and place them in a greased baking dish. Brush the top with egg and oil mixture. You can add sesame seeds to the top too.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes until golden. Transfer to a platter and serve warm.