In Persian cuisine there are some popular dishes of chicken with barberry rice such as Zereshk Polow served with Morgh (chicken) or Morasa Polow.
This recipe I am sharing today is a mixture of shredded chicken mixed with barberry and saffron served on top of Persian rice. In fact it has the same main ingredients as Zereshk Polow, but it is much easier to cook and tastes delicious thanks to the generous amount of saffron in it. I have posted a detailed recipe for Persian rice before, so in this recipe I will only explain how to cook the shredded chicken mixture.
Barberry is a common ingredient in Persian cuisine and it can be found at Middle Eastern markets. Since barberry has a sour taste, sugar is usually added to balance its taste, but it will not make the food sweet at all. However if you are interested in sweet foods, you can simply add more sugar, or if you prefer sour you can omit sugar from the ingredients.
- Chicken Recipes
- Rice recipes
- Main dishes
- 2 People
- 2 skinless chicken fillets
- 1 medium onion
- ¼ Cups dried barberry, soaked in water
- ½ Teaspoons saffron
- 50 Grams butter
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 Teaspoon salt
- ½ Teaspoons turmeric
- ½ Teaspoons black pepper
- Rough chop the onion and place in a pot together with chicken, salt, turmeric and pepper. Pour in enough water to cover the chicken and allow it to cook over medium heat until tender.
- Remove the chicken from the pot and shred it. Add shredded chicken to a large pan over low heat.
- Add butter and stir until butter is melted and mixed.
- Meanwhile, place the ground saffron in a cup and fill one-quarter of the cup with hot water. Set aside.
- Drain barberries and add them to the pan. Then add saffron water and stir for 1 minute.
- Add sugar and lemon juice and stir until sugar is melted and well mixed.
- Serve it warm over Persian rice and enjoy!