Do you like khiar shoor pickled cucumber? Pickled Cucumber is a known ingredient all around the world and like many other kinds of pickle is popular among Iranians, as a side dish or an ingredient in some foods like Olivie Salad. I have tried different kinds of pickled cucumbers since living out of Iran and, they had a hint of sweetness in them that didn’t satisfy me as the Persian pickles did. So I found out this recipe that I could make Khiarshoor (literally meaning salty cucumbers) easily and they were ready to serve just after 30 days.
- 1 Kilogram cucumbers *preferably small and green
- 4 Cups water
- 4 Tablespoons salt
- 1 Cup vinegar *apple or grape vinegar
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 Tablespoon tarragon *optional
- 3 red pepper, whole or ground *optional
- Wash the cucumbers very well preferably using a brush.
- Place the cucumbers on a kitchen cloth until they are dry. You want them to be completely dry before placing them in a jar.
- Add water to a pot and bring to a boil. Add salt and allow it to dissolve in water. Then set the pot aside and allow it to cool down to room temperature.
- Place the cucumbers in a jar. Place the garlic cloves in between them. It´s optional to add pepper and tarragon. Add the cooled-down water to the jar until 2-3 centimeters to the top of the jar. Then add vinegar until the jar is full. Close the lid tightly so the air can not reach the cucumbers.
- Do not open the lid for 30 days. After 30 days the pickled cucumbers are ready to serve.